How do Replacement Home Siding Companies determine what they are quoting me?
When considering a renovation project that include replacing the siding on your home, the process can be stressful. You’ve probably done some initial research and may already have received some quotes from various company’s. Here is some additional information that will benefit you to consider when considering a replacement siding contractor: who to hire when looking into replacement siding?
Lets assume that your list of possible replacement siding contractors includes companies that have been verified through the BBB, Angie’s List, and have been established in your area for at least 5 years. You’ve received bids and the price has varied from low to high and you’re wondering what accounts for the difference?
- Materials used, workmanship, labor costs, and overhead factor in to the bottom line costs of replacing your home siding. The best bet is to stay with someone who specializes in your own particular project, rather than a general contractor that lists that they can build you a home and perform maintenance on it. Those who claim that they can do it all probably can not do it all as well as you would like.
- You should be able to narrow your list of options by choosing to consider only those who specialize in replacement siding services. It is best to stay away from “Off Brand Products”. If you have never heard of a siding or window product being offered before by anyone, you do not want your house to be the test run.
- Some companies will keep their bottom line price by using inexperienced, unqualified workers on your home improvement project who could care less about what it looks like when the job is complete. The truth is that great installers get paid well, and they care about the finished look and appeal of the product that is installed. Low bid contractors will usually cut dollars by cutting out the qualified.
Compare equivalent services when receiving replacement siding quotes
Make sure your comparing apples to apples.
Your contractor should be able to go into great detail regarding what products are used, manufacture warrantees and what they entail, and provide you with a thorough understanding of how the project will unfold. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. If it sounds like they’re making it up as they go, they probably are.
On the other side of the price spectrum you may have those who spend a lot of time (and your money) claiming to be the best. Do you really want to spend your money financing their next marketing campaign? Stay clear of companies that claim they are offering “exclusive products”, as this gives the replacement siding contractor the ability to charge what they want, which is not necessarily what the product is truly worth. You should be presented with multiple options including an explanation of the benefits and risks of each product offered.
What a homeowner needs to make sure of is that they are getting the most value for their investment. Consider all factors before making the big decision to replace home siding on your home. Call Alamo Exteriors at 210-372-9495 for a free no hassle educational consultation.
Should I Choose A Single Hung Window or A Double Hung Window?
You are planning to replace your windows in your home. For most of us, this is a project we only do once or twice in our lifetime. You probably want the new windows to enhance the look of your home, but do you consider the functionality of the new window as well? Do you like clean windows? Do you often clean your windows? Do you like to open your windows for fresh air? All these questions need to be answered to be able to find the perfect window match for you.
In this post, we describe the similarities and differences between a single hung window and a double hung window.
Similarities between a single hung window and a double hung window.
- Manufacturers design the windows in the same style; they look almost identical, and from the outside you hardly can see the difference between the two variations. Both variations are offered in several exterior and interior colors, several hardware finishes, and several grid styles and patterns.
- The maintenance costs for single hung windows and double hung windows are similar.
- Both windows are often also tilting windows. The bottom and/or top panel can tilt in.
Differences between a single hung window and a double hung window
- A single hung window has one movable panel on the bottom of the window, also called a sash. It only moves up vertically. The top is fixed and doesn’t move, it is sealed to the frame. A double hung window has 2 or multiple movable sashes, it can open at the bottom, but also from the top. Also, the tilting of all the panels makes it possible to clean the outside window glass completely from within the house.
- As we mentioned, both windows look alike. But if you look closely from the outside you can recognize that a double hung window has a movable screen. A movable screen is necessary to block the top opening.
- The single hung window is cheaper than a double hung window. They can cost 10-20% less than their double-hung competitor.
- A double hung window allows for more and/or better ventilation.
Alamo Exteriors works with and recommends local window manufacturers that make strong, durable windows. Depending on your personal needs, and your budget, each of these two options will be a good choice. You might even prefer a combination of both windows types!
Please contact us if you need more information: Call Alamo Exteriors or fill out this form. We give free estimates.
Environmentally Friendly Windows
We often don’t realize it, but our windows impact birds.
Windows can kill birds that are flying at great speeds into windows, because they can’t see they are there. Every year up to 1,000,000,000 birds die from flying into windows!
The following article gives a list of possibilities for improving your home or business property to reduce the chances of these window strikes by birds and protect your windows from being damaged. These range vary from what type of glass to use to small household tips and tricks.
- Angled Glass
- Fritted Glass
- Etched or Sandblasted Glass
- UV-reflective Glass
Tips and tricks
- External shutters like Venetian blinds
- Window Clings
- and more tips
If you want to protect our feather friends, let us advise you with which glass to choose that would be perfect for your building.
Contact Alamo Exteriors today
We had our outside condensation filled, double-pane windows replaced by Alamo Exteriors after we were referred when I was complimenting a neighbor friend about her recently installed windows.
It has been a pleasant experience working with Alamo Exteriors. The company’s slogan, ”Treat customers with the utmost respect and provide quality service while explaining the differences between brands” aren’t just empty words.
COO Mark Belto helped us choosing the right windows for our house within our budget. He didn’t try to sell the most expensive window, but the most appropriate windows for our house.
Furthermore, I loved the excellent planning and professional follow-up. The materials were on time, and the crew was on time on the planned day of installation. Mark called us the next day – after installation and final payment – to inquire if we were pleased with the quality of the work. Which we were. It was a very pleasant surprise since our experience with other contractors had been quite the opposite.
During the installation, the crew respected our house (and especially our new hard wood floors) and our flowers and bushes in the yard. When they left the windows were clean without any difficult-to-remove caulk and the floors were vacuumed.
Last but not least, Mark mentioned that we would be pleased with the new windows because they would change the appearance of the home. He was right: we do love how the windows changed the appearance of our 30-year-old house! And although it was quite an investment, I strongly believe this home improvement increased the value of our home.
We highly recommend Alamo Exteriors!
A.P. Family – Vista Del Norte
Choose James Hardie’s Quality Exterior Cement Siding! Great article about James Hardie quality exterior cement siding! It explains thoroughly why home owners should consider this product.
Remind yourself though when you read the article to change the word” extreme cold” into “extreme heat”. This siding is developed to keep any climate outside your house!
Some of the advantages of James Hardie Quality Exterior Cement Siding, are:
- It is energy efficient, saving you dollars on your energy bill
- The material is long lasting, so you will hardly have maintenance or repair costs for many years to come
- It resists extreme climates, protecting your home; it will keep the cold and the warmth out of your home
- It resists pests, avoiding damage to your house
- It is budget friendly
- It is fire resistant!
Alamo Exteriors knows from experience that this siding makes your house look beautiful. On top of all the described advantages, James Hardie’s quality exterior cement siding will add esthetic and economic value to your home here in San Antonio .
Questions? Need more info? Contact us or call us today when you are ready to replace your current siding! We can schedule an appointment and get you a custom free quote : 210-372-9495
James Hardie’s Quality Exterior Siding