Should I Choose A Single Hung Window or A Double Hung Window?
You are planning to replace your windows in your home. For most of us, this is a project we only do once or twice in our lifetime. You probably want the new windows to enhance the look of your home, but do you consider the functionality of the new window as well? Do you like clean windows? Do you often clean your windows? Do you like to open your windows for fresh air? All these questions need to be answered to be able to find the perfect window match for you.
In this post, we describe the similarities and differences between a single hung window and a double hung window.
Similarities between a single hung window and a double hung window.
- Manufacturers design the windows in the same style; they look almost identical, and from the outside you hardly can see the difference between the two variations. Both variations are offered in several exterior and interior colors, several hardware finishes, and several grid styles and patterns.
- The maintenance costs for single hung windows and double hung windows are similar.
- Both windows are often also tilting windows. The bottom and/or top panel can tilt in.
Differences between a single hung window and a double hung window
- A single hung window has one movable panel on the bottom of the window, also called a sash. It only moves up vertically. The top is fixed and doesn’t move, it is sealed to the frame. A double hung window has 2 or multiple movable sashes, it can open at the bottom, but also from the top. Also, the tilting of all the panels makes it possible to clean the outside window glass completely from within the house.
- As we mentioned, both windows look alike. But if you look closely from the outside you can recognize that a double hung window has a movable screen. A movable screen is necessary to block the top opening.
- The single hung window is cheaper than a double hung window. They can cost 10-20% less than their double-hung competitor.
- A double hung window allows for more and/or better ventilation.
Alamo Exteriors works with and recommends local window manufacturers that make strong, durable windows. Depending on your personal needs, and your budget, each of these two options will be a good choice. You might even prefer a combination of both windows types!
Please contact us if you need more information: Call Alamo Exteriors or fill out this form. We give free estimates.
Environmentally Friendly Windows
We often don’t realize it, but our windows impact birds.
Windows can kill birds that are flying at great speeds into windows, because they can’t see they are there. Every year up to 1,000,000,000 birds die from flying into windows!
The following article gives a list of possibilities for improving your home or business property to reduce the chances of these window strikes by birds and protect your windows from being damaged. These range vary from what type of glass to use to small household tips and tricks.
- Angled Glass
- Fritted Glass
- Etched or Sandblasted Glass
- UV-reflective Glass
Tips and tricks
- External shutters like Venetian blinds
- Window Clings
- and more tips
If you want to protect our feather friends, let us advise you with which glass to choose that would be perfect for your building.
Contact Alamo Exteriors today
Are you wondering which home siding product to choose for your home siding renovation project? We have some recommendations for you.
James Hardie offers a pre-finished home siding product called Color Plus.
This product was first introduced several years ago primarily to compete with the vinyl siding home exteriors market and has become a popular choice for homeowners. James Hardie Home Siding Color Plus offers home owners a high quality multi layered baked on finish that ensures long term color retention.
Many contractors are moving in this direction primarily to keep costs down since the finish process can be skipped thus reducing labor costs. A downside is that you are working with a finished product in a construction environment. Also, as you take on a home exteriors project with James Hardie’s Color Plus, you need to consider the fact that with any home renovation there will usually be items not completely replaced with new siding material.
The old fashion way – when renovating with fiber cement home siding – is to use the Primed Plus products then add the finish. When renovating with Primed Plus, you are able to caulk first and then add your finish. Generally the entire house including renovated areas will be coated in this process. Alamo Exteriors recommends a Sherwin Williams Duration finish. Color options are limitless and the manufacture will warranty against chipping flaking or peeling. Fading becomes a concern when using low grade coatings since paint is comprised of essentially solids and water. The more solids the better the paint will be although no paint will be 100% fade proof. Darker colors tend to show fading faster than lighter colors. Price will generally reflect quality. Elastomeric coatings are not recommended since they tend to work better on products with a high expansion contraction ratio and tend to attract dust and dirt.
When you are considering your next home exteriors renovation project, make sure you contact a qualified contractor that is willing to discuss all your options and which process works best for your home.
Contact Alamo Exteriors at 210-372-9495 for a free no hassle educational consultation.
Choose James Hardie’s Quality Exterior Cement Siding! Great article about James Hardie quality exterior cement siding! It explains thoroughly why home owners should consider this product.
Remind yourself though when you read the article to change the word” extreme cold” into “extreme heat”. This siding is developed to keep any climate outside your house!
Some of the advantages of James Hardie Quality Exterior Cement Siding, are:
- It is energy efficient, saving you dollars on your energy bill
- The material is long lasting, so you will hardly have maintenance or repair costs for many years to come
- It resists extreme climates, protecting your home; it will keep the cold and the warmth out of your home
- It resists pests, avoiding damage to your house
- It is budget friendly
- It is fire resistant!
Alamo Exteriors knows from experience that this siding makes your house look beautiful. On top of all the described advantages, James Hardie’s quality exterior cement siding will add esthetic and economic value to your home here in San Antonio .
Questions? Need more info? Contact us or call us today when you are ready to replace your current siding! We can schedule an appointment and get you a custom free quote : 210-372-9495
James Hardie’s Quality Exterior Siding
When windows replacement is a more cost-effective solution than repair
Your windows are drafty, the wood is rotting, and the paint is cracked or peeling! It might be time to get new, energy saving vinyl replacement windows.
Alamo Exteriors knows that selecting new vinyl replacement windows can be a difficult process for house owners: you might get lost in all the information that is available. At Alamo Exteriors we will guide our clients through this process. Invite us for a free consultation to introduce you to our network of manufacturers with combined experience, technology and superior craftsmanship. All your questions will be answered after a consultation. You will be confident to choose the right windows for your home.
All brands deliver quality windows that will improve the beauty of your home! These replacement windows are available in multiple exterior and interior colors, as well as various styles, including double hung, bay, bow, garden, casement, picture, awning, and more. Regardless of which style or brand of replacement windows you choose, you can have full confidence in the workmanship provided by our expert installers.
Alamo Exteriors will not disappoint you!
For more information about vinyl window replacement, call us today at (210) 372-9495 or toll free at (877) 372-9495.