A sliding window can have the same advantages – energy efficient, durable, and easy to clean – as any other window style. So why would you choose this type of window. What are the features of a sliding window?
A sliding window is also called a slider or a gliding window, is a window with horizontally movable panels. These so-called “sashes” can glide smoothly in either direction. Your choice for this type of window can be based on personal taste or ease of use.
A sliding window has a clean, elegant look, and therefore will fit easily in any architectural style. They are available with or without muntins to give the appearance of a divided pane.
Easiness to use:
The slider window is often placed in a difficult to reach area. This because a sliding window allows you to slide one sash of the window open with a simple push. This window is therefore also an excellent choice for people who have mobility problems or have difficulty lifting or pushing up a hung window.
Letting the outside in:
A slider window is ideal for any window opening with a width greater than the height. These windows allow for an unobstructed view and an abundance of natural light to enter into your home. The windows also allow for easy natural ventilation.
Confused of what type of window is the best suited for you? Simply contact Alamo Exteriors. We offer free consultations to help you better understand your window options.
Are you wondering which home siding product to choose for your home siding renovation project? We have some recommendations for you.
James Hardie offers a pre-finished home siding product called Color Plus.
This product was first introduced several years ago primarily to compete with the vinyl siding home exteriors market and has become a popular choice for homeowners. James Hardie Home Siding Color Plus offers home owners a high quality multi layered baked on finish that ensures long term color retention.
Many contractors are moving in this direction primarily to keep costs down since the finish process can be skipped thus reducing labor costs. A downside is that you are working with a finished product in a construction environment. Also, as you take on a home exteriors project with James Hardie’s Color Plus, you need to consider the fact that with any home renovation there will usually be items not completely replaced with new siding material.
The old fashion way – when renovating with fiber cement home siding – is to use the Primed Plus products then add the finish. When renovating with Primed Plus, you are able to caulk first and then add your finish. Generally the entire house including renovated areas will be coated in this process. Alamo Exteriors recommends a Sherwin Williams Duration finish. Color options are limitless and the manufacture will warranty against chipping flaking or peeling. Fading becomes a concern when using low grade coatings since paint is comprised of essentially solids and water. The more solids the better the paint will be although no paint will be 100% fade proof. Darker colors tend to show fading faster than lighter colors. Price will generally reflect quality. Elastomeric coatings are not recommended since they tend to work better on products with a high expansion contraction ratio and tend to attract dust and dirt.
When you are considering your next home exteriors renovation project, make sure you contact a qualified contractor that is willing to discuss all your options and which process works best for your home.
Contact Alamo Exteriors at 210-372-9495 for a free no hassle educational consultation.
Where to begin….the short review: My husband and I highly recommend Alamo Exteriors! They do exceptional Replacement Home Siding, work and their entire team is very easy to work with and very professional.
The details of how we found Alamo Exteriors Home Improvement Services:
We spent a lot of time trying to analyze whether to put money into our existing home or sell it and start fresh and buy a newer home. We finally decided to remodel our home. We received about 4 or 5 quotes from various home siding companies. They all had their stories to tell about what they could do for us and what it would cost us. We decided to go with Mark Belto and Alamo Exteriors. Mark explained in great detail the process by which they would install the new replacement windows, replacement siding, and our new screened-in patio.
He wasn’t the least expensive, but he wasn’t the most either. Mark was always very polite, informative, and always accessible. He even gave us his cell number and would stay in touch with us, even over holiday weekends. He came by the house regularly to check on the progress of our home improvement projects and would call us to keep us informed of the progress. He has a keen eye for detail and always made sure our requests were dealt with, and always with a sense of urgency.
In addition, all of his workers that we met were extremely polite, responsive, and easy to talk to. I was impressed by the way Mark talked to his workers as well. They all love him. He never talked down to them, but spoke with each of them as an equal when explaining what he wanted from them. They are a great team! It seemed that even with our minds made up before they began, my husband and I kept throwing little changes at them. They handled every request with grace and were very accommodating. I’ve always heard that home remodeling projects take their toll on couples but I have to say that this was the best experience I’ve ever had. They handled our home improvement projects as if it were their own. They did a magnificent job!
I would recommend them to anyone and I would use them over and over again! I can honestly say that we did not have one single “encounter” during the entire home improvement makeover. They are THE BEST!
– Debbie, San Antonio, Texas
We appreciate the feedback on our Replacement Siding Services
Thank you Debbie for your kind comments and compliments. We greatly appreciate the testimonial on our services and are so happy that we had the opportunity to work on your Home Improvement Project.
Alamo Exteriors has been servicing San Antonio and surrounding areas with their home improvement projects for years. We provide detailed and thorough services in Replacement Home Siding, Replacement Windows and Patios. If you are preparing for your next home improvement project call Alamo Exteriors for a free no hassle, no obligation quote. Call 210-372-9495!
How do Replacement Home Siding Companies determine what they are quoting me?
When considering a renovation project that include replacing the siding on your home, the process can be stressful. You’ve probably done some initial research and may already have received some quotes from various company’s. Here is some additional information that will benefit you to consider when considering a replacement siding contractor: who to hire when looking into replacement siding?
Lets assume that your list of possible replacement siding contractors includes companies that have been verified through the BBB, Angie’s List, and have been established in your area for at least 5 years. You’ve received bids and the price has varied from low to high and you’re wondering what accounts for the difference?
- Materials used, workmanship, labor costs, and overhead factor in to the bottom line costs of replacing your home siding. The best bet is to stay with someone who specializes in your own particular project, rather than a general contractor that lists that they can build you a home and perform maintenance on it. Those who claim that they can do it all probably can not do it all as well as you would like.
- You should be able to narrow your list of options by choosing to consider only those who specialize in replacement siding services. It is best to stay away from “Off Brand Products”. If you have never heard of a siding or window product being offered before by anyone, you do not want your house to be the test run.
- Some companies will keep their bottom line price by using inexperienced, unqualified workers on your home improvement project who could care less about what it looks like when the job is complete. The truth is that great installers get paid well, and they care about the finished look and appeal of the product that is installed. Low bid contractors will usually cut dollars by cutting out the qualified.
Compare equivalent services when receiving replacement siding quotes
Make sure your comparing apples to apples.
Your contractor should be able to go into great detail regarding what products are used, manufacture warrantees and what they entail, and provide you with a thorough understanding of how the project will unfold. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. If it sounds like they’re making it up as they go, they probably are.
On the other side of the price spectrum you may have those who spend a lot of time (and your money) claiming to be the best. Do you really want to spend your money financing their next marketing campaign? Stay clear of companies that claim they are offering “exclusive products”, as this gives the replacement siding contractor the ability to charge what they want, which is not necessarily what the product is truly worth. You should be presented with multiple options including an explanation of the benefits and risks of each product offered.
What a homeowner needs to make sure of is that they are getting the most value for their investment. Consider all factors before making the big decision to replace home siding on your home. Call Alamo Exteriors at 210-372-9495 for a free no hassle educational consultation.
Should I Choose A Single Hung Window or A Double Hung Window?
You are planning to replace your windows in your home. For most of us, this is a project we only do once or twice in our lifetime. You probably want the new windows to enhance the look of your home, but do you consider the functionality of the new window as well? Do you like clean windows? Do you often clean your windows? Do you like to open your windows for fresh air? All these questions need to be answered to be able to find the perfect window match for you.
In this post, we describe the similarities and differences between a single hung window and a double hung window.
Similarities between a single hung window and a double hung window.
- Manufacturers design the windows in the same style; they look almost identical, and from the outside you hardly can see the difference between the two variations. Both variations are offered in several exterior and interior colors, several hardware finishes, and several grid styles and patterns.
- The maintenance costs for single hung windows and double hung windows are similar.
- Both windows are often also tilting windows. The bottom and/or top panel can tilt in.
Differences between a single hung window and a double hung window
- A single hung window has one movable panel on the bottom of the window, also called a sash. It only moves up vertically. The top is fixed and doesn’t move, it is sealed to the frame. A double hung window has 2 or multiple movable sashes, it can open at the bottom, but also from the top. Also, the tilting of all the panels makes it possible to clean the outside window glass completely from within the house.
- As we mentioned, both windows look alike. But if you look closely from the outside you can recognize that a double hung window has a movable screen. A movable screen is necessary to block the top opening.
- The single hung window is cheaper than a double hung window. They can cost 10-20% less than their double-hung competitor.
- A double hung window allows for more and/or better ventilation.
Alamo Exteriors works with and recommends local window manufacturers that make strong, durable windows. Depending on your personal needs, and your budget, each of these two options will be a good choice. You might even prefer a combination of both windows types!
Please contact us if you need more information: Call Alamo Exteriors or fill out this form. We give free estimates.